Current:Home > InvestFBI chief makes fresh pitch for spy program renewal and says it’d be ‘devastating’ if it lapsed -VisionFunds
FBI chief makes fresh pitch for spy program renewal and says it’d be ‘devastating’ if it lapsed
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 19:31:27
WASHINGTON (AP) — FBI Director Christopher Wray called Tuesday for the reauthorization of a U.S. government surveillance tool set to expire at the end of the year, warning Senate lawmakers that there would be “devastating” consequences for public safety if the program is allowed to lapse.
At issue is Section 702 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, which allows the U.S. government to collect without a warrant the communications of targeted foreigners outside the United States.
The program, created in the aftermath of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, is due to expire at the end of this month unless Congress votes to reauthorize it. But Republican and Democratic lawmakers alike have balked at renewing the program in its current form, recommending a slew of reforms through competing legislative proposals that are jockeying for support in the coming weeks.
The fact that Wray devoted a significant portion of his prepared remarks to the Senate Judiciary Committee to the issue underscores its importance to the FBI, particularly at a time when the Israel-Hamas war has drawn heightened concern about the possibility of extremist violence on U.S. soil and contributed to threats being at a “whole other level” since the Oct. 7 attacks.
Wray, calling the authority indispensable, told the committee, “702 allows us to stay a step ahead of foreign actors located outside the United States who pose a threat to national security.
“And the expiration of our 702 authorities would be devastating to the FBI’s ability to protect Americans from those threats.”
Wray, who took over as director in 2017, said that what made the current climate unique is that “so many of the threats are all elevated at the same time.”
But the 702 program has come under scrutiny in the last year following revelations that FBI analysts improperly searched the database of intelligence, including for information about people tied to the Jan. 6, 2021, riot at the U.S. Capitol and the racial justice protests of 2020.
Those concerns have united longtime vocal champions of civil liberties, including Democratic Sen. Ron Wyden of Oregon, as well as Republican supporters of former President Donald Trump who are still angry over surveillance missteps made during the Russia investigation of 2016.
Some of the legislative proposals designed to reform 702 would require the FBI to obtain a warrant before searching the intelligence repository for information about Americans and others inside the U.S.
But Wray and Biden administration officials said such a requirement would be both legally unnecessary and would hold up the FBI In trying to intercept fast-moving national security threats.
If a warrant requirement is the path chosen, Wray said, “What if there were a terrorist attack that we had a shot to prevent, but couldn’t take it, because the FBI was deprived of the ability under 702 to look at key information already sitting in our holdings?”
Democratic Sen. Dick Durbin, the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, summed up the issue by telling Wray that though “there was no question” that Section 702 was a “critical tool for collecting foreign intelligence” but the Illinois lawmaker supports significant reforms meant to protect the privacy of “innocent Americans.”
veryGood! (83971)
Related
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Olympian Kendall Ellis Got Stuck in a Porta Potty—& What Came Next Certainly Doesn't Stink
- AP Decision Notes: What to expect in Washington state’s primaries
- A 'dead zone' about the size of New Jersey lurks in the Gulf of Mexico
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- Tiffany Haddish Shares the NSFW Side Hustle She Used to Have Involving Halle Berry and Dirty Panties
- When does Simone Biles compete next? Olympic gymnastics event finals on tap in Paris
- California dad missing for nearly 2 weeks after mysterious crash into street pole
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- Hyundai recalls nearly 50,000 of its newer models for airbag issues
Ranking
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- An assassin, a Putin foe’s death, secret talks: How a sweeping US-Russia prisoner swap came together
- Lionel Messi's ankle injury improves. Will he play Inter Miami's next Leagues Cup game?
- Appeals court: Separate, distinct minority groups can’t join together to claim vote dilution
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- 2024 Olympics: Swimmer Tamara Potocka Collapses After Women’s 200-Meter Individual Medley Race
- Here's what the average spousal Social Security check could look like in 2025
- After Trump’s appearance, the nation’s largest gathering of Black journalists gets back to business
Recommendation
2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
Conn's HomePlus now closing all stores: See the full list of locations
Rent paid, but Team USA's Veronica Fraley falls short in discus qualifying at Paris Games
Marathon runner Sharon Firisua competes in 100m at 2024 Paris Olympics
Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
Christina Hall Slams Estranged Husband Josh Hall’s Message About “Hope”
US safety agency moves probe of Dodge Journey fire and door lock failure a step closer to a recall
Maren Morris says 'nothing really scares me anymore' after public feuds, divorce